Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Big Bowl of Love in the form of Chili :-)



I got a recipe for chili from my friend Julie and added a few of my own twists to it. This was the first time I ever had chili because growing up, my mother only made Indian, Arab, and occasionally Chinese food. Also, since I only eat zabiha meat, I wasn't able to eat it out at restaurants. Alhamdulillah, I absolutely love it. I think it has quite possibly become my new favorite comfort food. It's slightly time-consuming, but overall pretty easy to make. And a big old potful will last you a while. This is a great recipe for a cold day and is sure to warm you body and soul. :)

*Note: This would also be the perfect dish for vegetarians--just leave out the meat! ;)

Ingredients:

-1 large onion, diced
-2 medium cans stewed tomatoes
-1 large can diced tomatoes
-1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs. ground beef (or turkey, lamb, or chicken if you like)
-1 red, 1 green, and 1 yellow bell pepper diced
-2 cans kidney beans
-1 can black beans
-1 can corn
-2 to 3 tbs. vegetable oil
-1 packet chili seasoning (I use McCormick)
-1 to 2 tsp. taco seasoning (not necessary, but a good addition if you have some)
-Salt to taste (I don't use any)
-Pepper (to taste)
-3/4 tsp. chili powder
-Pinch of cayenne pepper
-1/2 of a small jalapeno pepper diced (optional)

*First, begin by sauteing onions in an open-faced pan. Add vegetable oil.
*When the onions start to caramelize, add your ground meat and cook thoroughly until brown.
*Drain any excess liquid after meat is cooked.
*Add meat and onion mixture to pot (or crock pot) and add all remaining ingredients. Allow to simmer over medium-low heat for at least 30 to 40 minutes. (The longer you let it simmer, the better it will be).

*Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with shredded taco cheese. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think with some tweaking (i.e. brown the meat first and reduce the liquid) this could easily become a crock-pot recipe, taking some of the labor-intensiveness out. That's what I do on "crazy-hate-my-life" days--throw it in the pot in the morning and come home to mmmmmmmyah chili!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's why I put the option of using a crock pot instead. Personally, I've never used one before--I don't even own one. :p But it would be a great idea for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of time to cook. Just let it slowly simmer all day. :)

    ReplyDelete