Saturday, November 29, 2008

Candied Yams



When my husband and I got married, I began learning about southern cooking and "comfort foods" to remind him of the food he grew up eating. Luckily, over the past year I've become a pro in the art of soul food. The first I heard about candied yams, it sounded like the least appetizing food possible, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. Candied yams have become one of my personal favorite comfort food dishes. The sweetness of candied yams also blend in well with other southern foods like mashed potatoes, collard greens, corn bread, and even turkey or chicken. I'm sure you guys will love this recipe as much as I do and it's so easy to make! :)

Ingredients:

-2 cups water
-2 cups granulated sugar
-4 tbs. butter
-1 tsp. lemon juice
-1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-8 small yams (or sweet potatoes)

*Peel outer skin from yams or sweet potaoes and slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick circles.
*Rinse in cold water, allow to drain, and set aside for later use.
*In a medium pot, bring water and sugar to a boil, add butter, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon and sliced yams or sweet potatoes.
*Return to boil, cover pot and reduce heat to simmer.
*Cook yams or sweet potatoes for 35 to 45 minutes until tender.
*Gently stir while cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment